Word lists are essential in any word game. Knowing something about the lists used is part of understanding how to play Spellcubed.
For the two English word lists we have tried to adhere to the following guidelines:
- We have tried to minimize the number of “foreign” , obsolete, obscure and technical words but in English this is hard.
- No proper names or places are allowed.
- Totally offensive words are not allowed
- We have tried to stick to American vs British usage.
- We have tried to avoid abbreviations and acronyms
- We have chosen not to include such as “PSST” and “SHHH”
To the best of our knowledge the word lists used are created from copyright free word lists. The Word Lists used are:
- Common English Words (the Default Word List) This is a list of “common” English words. Our list is created from 2of12inf List of Word Lists of Kevin Atkinson ..
- A large English Word List English Open Word List (EOWL)
- Spanish Word List is created from a standard Spanish computer spell-checker
- King James Old Testament created from Gutenburg version of King James Old Testament
- French Word List is created from a standard French computer spell-checker
- Shakespeare WorksCreated from Moby version of Complete Works of Shakespeare